Friday 10 August 2012

Self-examination

Mirror, mirror, is it me, right?
Recently, my friend posted this quote on facebook: "We gain strength from temptations we resist."

While nodding my head, I somehow was reminded of Saint Paul's statement:
"All the runners at the stadium are trying to win, but only one of them gets the prize. You must run in the same way, meaning to win. All the fighters at the games go into strict training; they do this just to win a wreath that will wither away, but we do it for a wreath that will never wither. That is how i run, intent on winning; that is how I fight, not beating the air. I treat my body hard and make it obey me, for, having been an announcer myself, I should not want to be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
 Clearly, something was suggesting the importance of the self-examination. This is very important for the Sacrament of reconciliation, where the powerful graces are manifested of God's Divine Mercy and His Love. No wonder it is more powerful than the exorcism, that is attested by the exorcist priests' experiences.

Today, I came across two quotes in the book.
"[Wisdom] is the reflection of the everlasting light and a spotless mirror of the power of God." (Wisdom 7:26)
"Every day, look into the spotless mirror that is Jesus Christ, and study well your reflection. In that way, you may adorn yourself, mind and body, with every virtue." - Saint Clare of Assisi 
I think I should be grateful for every temptation permitted by God into my life. Without having fought them, I would never know the precious gift of humility. As if it was yesterday, I still remembered reading the warning letter from the devil in my dream prior to my baptism. From then onwards, I strived  to master every Christian virtue. Even today, I am still learning how to be good Catholic child of God.

"Go, ask God to stir up warfare so that you may regain the affliction and humility that you used to have. For it is by warfare that the soul makes progress. Lord, give me strength for the fight." - Saint John the Dwarf


No comments: