Thursday 11 April 2013

His Mercy endures forever


Recent news about deaf student named Dylan Quick stabbing people got me thinking. You can find the source here: [link]  From my perspective, I think he grew up in solitary and did not even associate with deaf people as he did not learn sign language in his youth, and even was home schooled as the child. Having almost similar experience, I understand that he was unable to find someone whom he could share his feelings, and thus fell prey to his impulse of fantasy, stabbing people. There is no way for healthy humans to harbor such destructive thoughts. It saddened me more than frightening me because of huge distance between himself and deaf people. I was told that if deaf person does not know sign language, he does not relate himself to the deaf cultures. Little wonder deaf people drew line between each other. But my determination was strengthened because there are many people whom the others cannot reach out to, and they deserve Heaven and to know Lord Jesus Christ. 

Surprisedly, the Gospel speaks to me today as if God is reading my thoughts. Saint John the Baptist said, 
"He who comes from above is above all others; He who is born of the earth is earthly Himself and speaks in an earthly way. He who comes from Heaven bears witness to the things He has seen and heard, even if His testimony is not accepted; though all who do accept His testimony are attesting the truthfulness of God, since He whom God has sent speaks God's Own Words: God gives Him the Spirit without reserve. The Father loves the Son and has entrusted everything to Him. Anyone who believes in the Son has eternal life, but anyone who refuses to believe in the Son will never see life: the anger of God stays on Him." (John 3:31-36)
Lord Jesus Himself is true God and knows no sin, but He chose to live like the full human when He was here on the earth. He even associated with all kinds of sinners, but never committed the sins Himself. Because He is Love, He wanted to reach out those sinners whom the public rejected. The Catholic Church taught that we, baptized or not, are all the children of God because we believe that God created everything in Heaven and on earth, visible and invisible. Technically, everything belongs to Him alone. As He respected our free wills, He let us take control of everything on the earth, and even we can choose to love Him or not. Remember, God is Love and always desires the salvation for every one of us. Truly, His Mercy endures forever.

My point is that I ought to be more courageous and make effort to reach out to every person whom I meet everyday because Lord Jesus also reached out to every sinner He saw. Recall that Lord said, "It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but sick... What I want is mercy, not sacrifice. And indeed I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners." (Matthew 9:12-13) One deaf Korean priest who told me that he visited deaf prisoners so as to educate them. They were jailed for stealing. Because they were uneducated and unable to make living, they did not understand that stealing for food was the crime. I neither see Dylan Quick as the bad person nor wish judgment upon him. I pray that the kind soul will help him to know Lord Jesus. I hope I will get to work on His Kingdom soon.

No comments: